Altadena, CA United States
Saint Mark’s School is an independent, Episcopal coeducational day school in Altadena, California. Founded in 1960, the school serves the needs of approximately 300 preschool through sixth grade students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds. The School’s mission is to develop the unique intellect and character of each student in a nurturing environment committed to academic excellence, respect for diversity, responsibility, and spiritual growth.
Saint Mark’s School is seeking an Elementary Associate Teacher to join a team-oriented, inclusive, and professional learning community.
The Elementary Associate Teacher will be responsible for assisting the grade level Lead Teacher(s) in maintaining a positive learning environment in their homeroom. In partnership with the Director of Teaching and Learning, the successful candidate will support the Lead Teacher(s) and Enrichment Teachers in the grade level and assist in the care and supervision of students in support of the mission, philosophy, and values of the School.
The Elementary Associate Teacher will be an integral part of the grade level teaching team and must be professionally prepared to meet the social and emotional health and safety conditions necessary to operate a quality elementary program. The Elementary Associate Teacher must be able to relate to and work well with both children and adults; be willing to take direction from the teacher(s) and administration; and show initiative for important parts of the elementary program and operation of the school.
Approaching the work with an anti-bias lens, qualified candidates should demonstrate a passion for working with children, a growth mindset, flexibility, and a commitment to ongoing professional development, along with solid communication and organization skills. Candidates should also have the ability to work as part of a team, the skills to engage and inspire students, and the potential and willingness to contribute beyond the classroom.
The Elementary Associate Teacher is supervised directly by the Director of Teaching and Learning and is evaluated by the Assistant Head of School.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acts in a manner corresponding to the requirements of the Saint Mark’s Employee Handbook and the mission of the School.
- Assists the teacher(s) with implementing appropriate curriculum, assessments, and activities designed to promote academic, social, and emotional growth for children, including through distance learning as needed.
- Independently supervises an area of activities in the classroom and outdoors and engages the students in learning. Assists the teacher(s) in other appropriate ways such as leading small group instruction, morning meeting, or closing circle, as directed.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity and equity, fostering a culturally responsive and inclusive classroom and actively contributing to a healthy, equitable environment for all members of the community.
- Keeps the lead teacher aware of any observations of children with social-emotional or learning challenges.
- Relates professionally to each child, parents, and other staff and contributes to a positive school climate.
- Shows respect and care for each child and implements school and playground rules and behavior expectations in a professional manner, consistent with the School’s philosophy.
- Demonstrates professionalism through punctuality, collaboration, organization, participation in meetings, and staff development opportunities. Maintains professional behavior, including appropriate dress, good judgment, integrity, diplomacy, confidentiality, and a respectful attitude in professional relationships.
- Ensures the health and safety of children through visual supervision and by appropriately responding to injuries as well as unexpected circumstances.
- Follows guidelines of Emergency Preparedness Plan and takes responsibility for students’ safety in an emergency situation or drill.
- Completes required training each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, etc.)
- Supervises students during all assigned supervision duties, including but not limited to, lunch and recess, drop-off and pick-up, extended care, and when the teacher is out of the classroom. Reports hazards or health and safety issues in a timely manner.
- Assists Lead Teacher with the necessary set-up and clean-up of classroom areas and materials used in each day’s activity or project and helps with setting-up, cleaning, and putting away outdoor play materials and equipment.
- Completes clerical tasks and learns and operates office equipment and technology as assigned.
- Arrives promptly at assigned time, follows daily schedule, and leaves only upon completion of daily tasks, not to extend beyond regularly scheduled hours.
- Attends all designated staff meetings, in-services/trainings and school programs.
- Exhibits willingness to take on other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (or in process); actively working toward advancing in the field of education (additional coursework, degree, teacher certification, etc.)
- Experience working with elementary-aged children
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Must love working with children and demonstrate enthusiasm for supporting students in pursuing their passions, talents, and interests
- Creative, energetic, patient, resourceful, flexible, innovative, and positive
- Willingness to try new things
- Open to constructive feedback and training opportunities
- Willingness to participate in ongoing professional training
Physical Requirements: Job includes some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; hearing, speaking, observing, and significant fine finger dexterity. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Generally, the job requires 15% sitting, 40% walking, and 45% standing and the ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard-free environment, and in a clean atmosphere.
Non-Discrimination Policy: Saint Mark’s School is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
Submissions: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to Rebecca Russell, Director of Teaching and Learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org