Sewanee, TN United States
YOU BELONG HERE.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School seeks a dynamic History Teacher with a commitment to Middle and Upper School humanities education in a boarding/day school with a diverse and welcoming Episcopal environment. This is a 10-month, full-time, non-exempt position and reports to the Academic Dean. Outstanding candidates will be self-directed, possess exceptional rapport-building skills, have a generally upbeat and enthusiastic disposition, and enjoy working with other adults to encourage challenge, balance, and joy in the lives of adolescents.
Successful candidates for employment will have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
Teaching upper school courses in global and American history:
• Planning, evaluating, and revising curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction
• Utilizing effective class management techniques to insure effective learning
• Maintaining regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students
• Maintaining expertise in subject matter through professional development
• Participating in departmental planning and curricular review
• Serving as an advisor for Upper School students
• Leading evening and weekend campus activities and supervision
• Coaching and/or teaching in our Afternoon Program
• Additional duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Undergraduate and/or advanced degree in History, or a related field
• Enthusiasm and commitment to caring for adolescents
• Commitment to St. Andrew’s-Sewanee’s mission and vision and comfort with the tenets of the Episcopal Church
• A philosophical alignment with our core values and curriculum.
• Commitment to innovative teaching methods
• A willingness to fully participate in a boarding school environment, and
• Aptitude for responding with empathy to a diverse community of learners
Applicants with prior teaching experience, boarding school experience, experience with outdoor education, and/or the ability to coach basketball or wrestling will be given special consideration.
Benefits include a tuition remission plan, health and dental insurance, worker’s
compensation, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, defined
contribution retirement plan, and eligibility for grants for professional enrichment and continuing education.
ABOUT ST. ANDREW’S-SEWANEE SCHOOL:
Named one of the eight most beautiful high schools in the South by Southern Living magazine, St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School (www.sasweb.org) is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, day and boarding college-preparatory school serving 240 students in grades 6-12. Established in 1868, the school welcomes students from around the country and around the world. Our faculty and staff appreciate abundant outdoor adventure, access to the cultural opportunities of the nearby University of the South, and the joy of cultivating close relationships in a small community.
Applications should be directed to the History Teacher Search Committee. Please include a letter of introduction, a résumé, a teaching statement, and at least two professional references. In addition to fulfilling application requirements as stated in this position posting, all applicants must complete an Employment Application. We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will close applications when the position is filled.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Direct applications and inquiries to:
History Teacher Search
c/o Andrea Booher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Assistant to the Head of School