Resurrection Episcopal Day School
New York, NY United States
Resurrection Episcopal Day School (REDS) seeks an experienced finance professional to assume the role of Business Manager. The Business Manager oversees the school’s ~$3.5M annual budget and ensures that the accounting and finance systems and processes accurately reflect the budgeted results and financial position of the school in accordance with GAAP.
While the primary focus of the Business Manager is the management and stewardship of the financial resources of the school, he/she is an integral part of the senior leadership team and provides strategic guidance to and works closely with the Head of School, Finance Committee, and Board of Trustees. The Business Manager will join a small, close-knit leadership team that values collaboration, partnership, and excellence and benefits from a highly engaged and committed Board of Trustees and school community.
Core Responsibilities of the Business Manager include but are not limited to:
● Administer the annual budget and multi-year forecasting process to align with the school’s goals and mission and maintain account records related to the school’s budget.
● Develop and oversee financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to safeguard assets, protect confidential information, and ensure accurate financial reporting.
● Provide financial reports to school leadership.
● Maintain financial controls, fixed asset ledgers, capital acquisitions, depreciation, and disposals.
● Oversee the school’s reserves and investment portfolio to ensure accurate reporting in collaboration with the Board’s Investment Committee.
● Oversee all school business functions, including: tuition billing and collection, accounting and reporting, and other business administration activities with the assistance of other business office staff.
● Manage purchasing, human resources, payroll, employee relations and benefits, and the 403(b)-plan administration.
● Ensure that human resources policies and practices are clearly articulated, consistently applied, and conform to legal requirements.
● Oversee legal issues, risk management, insurance, and the annual revision of the Employee Handbook.
● Manage IT infrastructure and facilitate collaboration with IT vendors.
● Oversee population and maintenance of custom database software.
● Collaborate with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to secure and deploy financial resources to fulfill the school’s strategic priorities.
● Participate in the development of school strategy, providing recommendations, financial analysis, projections, and other data to inform the process.
● Communicate regularly with the Finance Committee Chair and Head of School to prepare for Board and other meetings with the Finance Committee and the Board of Trustees.
● Collaborate with members of the Development Committee and parent community in preparing for, organizing, and tracking development activities.
● Develop, support, and supervise the Facilities Manager in his oversight of facilities, which includes building repairs, construction, security, janitorial needs, and careful planning to ensure multi-year support for all buildings and grounds maintenance.
● Model and foster a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, high ethical standards, integrity, and respect for colleagues, alumni, parents, and students in the conduct of the school’s business.
● Understand the culture and climate of the school and the wider educational environment.
● Develop and provide timely reports as needed.
● Bring attention to detail and personal accountability to all professional responsibilities.
● Communicate professionally, respectfully and clearly with colleagues and community members at all levels of the organization.
● Provide leadership that prioritizes excellence with a side of humor, humanity, and team-orientation.
● A bachelor’s degree in accounting
● Five years of experience in accounting
● Proven success in a senior administrative role
● Demonstrated leadership qualities – organizing people and processes
● Excellent oral and written communication skills and comfort with a variety of technology platforms (accounting and otherwise)
● The ability to work collaboratively with coworkers and other school community members
● Keen analytical skills and a detail-oriented work style
Salary: Commensurate with experience
This benefit rich position includes 4 weeks vacation, 10 sick/safe/personal days, 9% Pension contribution by employer after 1 year with immediate 100% vesting, 100% medical and dental premiums paid for employee, $50K life insurance coverage, and ST/LT Disability provided. Other benefits include employee funded FSA Plan, Aflac insurance, subsidized professional development and degree work.
Founded initially in 1990 as an episcopal day school, Resurrection Episcopal Day School (REDS) is a private, independent, and nonprofit nursery school committed to promoting the intellectual, spiritual, emotional, and physical development of the whole child according to the educational philosophy developed by Maria Montessori. Guided by the principles of the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), REDS offers a highly differentiated early education program within an engaged community of staff members and families with a shared commitment to cultivating a love of learning and respect for diversity and community.
REDS is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan within the parish house of the historic Church of the Resurrection, which was built in 1868. Although REDS is a secular community with finances and operations that are largely independent from the Church, our shared facility and partnership in offering an inclusive and progressive approach to spirituality are special features of the REDS experience.