Arden, NC United States
Christ School seeks an enthusiastic, committed full-time Spanish teacher to join our community in August 2024. Teachers in the World Languages Department must be ready to juggle multiple classroom tasks in addition to the diverse duties associated with life on a busy residential campus.
This Spanish teacher will:
- Develop appropriate lesson plans and implement curricula for four Spanish courses per semester (introductory to advanced levels).
- Design course work that meets students’ needs and spurs their interest.
- Foster a structured, positive learning environment for all students.
- Teach pronunciation, vocabulary, writing, and composition.
- Investigate innovative teaching methods and materials for use in the classroom.
- Monitor student progress and provide regular feedback to students, parents, and faculty advisors.
- Shape opportunities for further learning through diverse cultural experiences.
All full-time faculty at Christ School assist with a variety of Co-Curricular and Student Life responsibilities such as:
- mentoring a small Advisory Group;
- leading two co-curricular afternoon activities each year;
- supporting a Duty Team, either as a Houseparent or Non-Dorm Personnel (NDP);
- serving on committees or advising clubs.
Additionally, candidates for this position will possess the following specific attributes or qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree in Spanish or a related field; a master’s degree preferred
- First-hand experience living abroad in a Spanish-speaking country preferred
- Two or more years teaching high school Spanish preferred
- Sincere interest in educating, encouraging, and celebrating adolescent boys
- The ability to communicate clearly with students, parents, and colleagues
- A desire to learn and implement new teaching methods and technologies
- A commitment to Christ School’s Four Pillars: Academic Rigor, Leadership, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor
- Energy, flexibility, collegiality, and a robust sense of humor
Benefits associated with full-time employment at Christ School include:
- Competitive salary, based on experience($40K-$55K)
- Housing, based on availability
- Full tuition remission for sons accepted to the school
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- TIAA 10% match (optional at this level)
- Generous Professional Development and Continuing Education support
- Dining for faculty member and family (10 months)
- Access to gym facilities, tennis courts, and track; unlimited access to 10 miles of scenic campus trails
- YMCA membership (50% covered for employees and their families)
- Employee Assistance Program (mental health counseling)
- Proximity to Asheville, a vibrant small city, and the Blue Ridge Mountains
More about Christ School and our Faculty:
Founded in 1900, Christ School is an all-boys college preparatory boarding school for 300 students in grades 8 through 12. The school is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and sits on 500 scenic acres, nine miles south of Asheville, North Carolina. The school’s mission is to “produce educated men of good character, prepared for both scholastic achievement in college and productive citizenship in adult society.” We do this through programming and relationships built around our Four Pillars: Leadership, Academic Rigor, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor. Students come from 18 states and six foreign countries to attend Christ School. All world faiths are welcome in our community.
The teachers, coaches, and advisors of Christ School find purpose and meaning in our work with the young Greenies in our care. The thread that runs through every responsibility and opportunity we encounter is an abiding belief in the power of strong relationships to shape and sustain healthy, successful young men.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other legally protected status.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume with a cover letter to Steve Stay, Registrar & Executive Assistant to the Head of School after completing this survey: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=xPdFYdOkpEKXKL7fvJ_Fzwi9XN3glfxAieXtLsH_9UpUMlNPSkxTVFZTWDBZTVpaWU1RWUJBM1BNRi4u .