[Episcopal Church Office of Public Affairs] Are you an Episcopal youth, or know one who would like to learn about the governance of the church while providing a needed service? Then consider the Episcopal Youth Presence at General Convention 2012.
Eighteen positions, representing two from each Province of the Episcopal Church, are opened to youth to participate in the 77th General Convention, scheduled for July 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana July 5 to July 12.
Bronwyn Clark Skov, Episcopal Church Officer for Youth Ministries, addressed both the importance and the honor of these positions. “The General Convention Official Youth Presence was established by an initial resolution in 1982,” she explained. “The Official Youth Presence members have seat and voice on the floor of the House of Deputies during the legislative sessions and that is an exciting prospect for the youth of our church.”
Interested youth may apply or be nominated by an adult. The Provincial Youth Ministry Coordinators will be contacting adults with follow-up questions about the potential applicants.
To be eligible for one of the 18 positions, the youth must:
- be an Episcopalian active in his/her faith community
- be at least 16 years old but not more than 19 years old at the time of General Convention in July 2012
- be enrolled in high school during the 2011-2012 academic year
- have permission to travel to and from the meetings and General Convention on his/her own
- be able to attend training from April 12 to April 15 in Indianapolis
- be able to be present at General Convention 2012 in Indianapolis from Thursday, July 5 to Thursday, July 12.
Travel, lodging, and meal expenses are covered.
Nomination form: http://www.formstack.com/forms/DFMS-gcoyp_nom
Application form: http://www.formstack.com/forms/DFMS-gcoyp
The application/nomination process is open until January 15.
Nominations and applications are available electronically only; paper nominations will not be accepted.