New York—At its April 2008 meeting, the Governing Board of the National Association of Episcopal Schools elected officers for the 2008–2009 year, bade farewell to retiring Board members, and elected the members of the class of 2011.
The following individuals were elected to serve as officers of the Governing Board for the 2008–2009 year, beginning July 1:
- The Rev. Roger A. Ferlo, Ph.D., President—Dr. Ferlo is associate dean, professor of Religion & Culture and director of the Center for Christian Formation & Leadership at Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, Virginia. He is a former rector of the Church of St. Luke in the Fields and St. Luke’s School in New York CIty.
- Lucy C. Nazro, Vice President—Mrs. Nazro is head of school at St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, Austin, Texas.
- Karan Merry, Secretary—Ms. Merry is head of school at St. Paul’s Episcopal School, Oakland, California.
- Patrick M. Dickens, Treasurer—Mr. Dickens is head of school at the Episcopal Church of the Ascension Day School, Lafayette, Louisiana.
David H. Charlton, Ed.D., the current Governing Board president since 2005, has decided to step down from the presidency, but will continue as a member of the Governing Board through the end of his current term, which concludes June 30, 2010. Please join us in thanking David for his leadership these past three years!
Miguel Brito, Judy Lineback: Farewell and Thank You
The Governing Board bade a fond farewell and a deeply felt thank you to retiring Governing Board members Miguel Brito and Judy Lineback, whose terms of service end June 30, 2008. Mr. Brito is head of school at St. Philip’s Academy, Newark, New Jersey; Mrs. Lineback, of Greenville, South Carolina, is a former vestry member at Christ Church in that city. Our collective thanks to them for their thoughtful, wise and dedicated service on behalf of all our schools.
Governing Board Class of 2011
At the April meeting, the following individuals were re-elected or elected to the Governing Board as members of the class of 2011. Those marked with an asterisk (*) are newly elected; click on their names to learn more about these new members of the Governing Board.
- Mary Ellen Christy*, Headmistress, St. Chrysostom’s Day School Chicago, Illinois
- Kirk R. Duncan, Head of School, Holy Innocents’ Episcopal School, Atlanta, Georgia
- The Rev. Roger Ferlo
- James A. Freeman, Ph.D.*, Headmaster, TMI—The Episcopal School of Texas, San Antonio, Texas
- The Rev. Edmund K. Sherrill II, Chaplain. St. Mark’s School, Southborough, Massachusetts
NAES is an independently incorporated, voluntary membership organization that supports, serves and advocates for the vital work and ministry of those who serve over 1,000 Episcopal schools, Early Childhood education programs and school establishment efforts throughout the Episcopal Church. Chartered in 1965, with historic roots dating to the 1930s, NAES is the only pre-collegiate educational association that is both national in scope and Episcopal in character. The Association offers a variety of services, publications, resources and conferences consonant with the Association’s mission and focused principally on Episcopal school identity, leadership and governance and the spiritual and professional development of school leaders.