The National Association of Episcopal Schools, joining with twenty-four other school associations, has co-signed a Statement on Student and School Safety issued by the National Association of Independent Schools.
NAIS Statement on Student and School Safety
Students have a right to learn without fear. Learning in a safe and healthy environment is a foundational requirement for a successful education. Yet in communities across the country, the fundamental promise to protect students has been fractured by gun violence. This must change.
As a national education association, NAIS empowers independent schools and the students they serve. The schools that belong to NAIS teach students to become informed and engaged citizens who contribute to their communities and to the larger society. As the nation considers how best to protect children, NAIS urges elected officials to take meaningful legislative and regulatory action now to support the safety and well-being of children. We also urge officials to listen to our students as they advocate for systemic change.
This is a problem that we can solve. The issues involved are complex, and many people have deeply held views on how to best address the challenge. But we must get started and refuse to let the complexities paralyze us. Only by working together can our nation’s leaders, our schools, and our students bring about the change that’s so vital to a secure future.
The following organizations have co-signed this statement:
- Association of College Counselors in Independent Schools (ACCIS)
- Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
- Association of Independent Maryland & DC Schools (AIMS MD/DC)
- Association of Independent School Admission Professionals (AISAP)
- Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
- Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA)
- California Independent Schools Business Officers Association (Cal-ISBOA)
- Center for Spiritual and Ethical Education (CSEE)
- Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
- Enrollment Management Association (EMA)
- Friends Council on Education
- Global Online Academy (GOA)
- Independent Schools Association of Northern New England (ISANNE)
- Mid-South Independent School Business Officers (MISBO)
- Minnesota Association of Independent Schools (MAIS)
- National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- National Business Officers Association (NBOA)
- National Coalition of Girls’ Schools (NCGS)
- New Jersey Association of Independent Schools (NJAIS)
- One Schoolhouse
- Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS)
- Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools (SAES)
- The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)